Put simply Recovery is about having and building a meaningful, satisfying and contributing life and using your strengths to become all you want to be!
A person’s journey of recovery is a personal process. It is about developing a meaningful and satisfying life regardless of a condition or diagnosis. Recovery-identifying, using and developing your skills and talents to become all you want to be and do all you want to do!
Specialist treatment like therapy and medication may be important but it is only a small part of the story. Everyone's journey of recovery is individual and uniquely personal – there is no formula, but there does appear to be three things that are critical:
- HOPE - Recovery is impossible without hope. Relationships are key in supporting and fostering hope. It is difficult to believe in yourself if everyone around you thinks you will never amount to very much. When you find it hard to believe in yourself and your possibilities you need others to believe in you and hold on to hope for you.
- CONTROL - Recovery involves taking back control. This may involve taking control of your life and destiny and finding purpose, meaning and direction in life, deciding what is important to you and finding new dreams and ambitions. It may also include taking control of your own recovery and self-care and working out ways of managing problems so they don’t get in the way of you pursuing your goals and deciding what help and support you need to pursue your ambitions.
- OPPORTUNITY - Recovery is impossible without opening-up opportunity for a life beyond addiction. Doing the things that give your life value such as meaningful occupation, work, and participation in community life and leisure activities.
Recovery is About:
- Living Hopefully.
- Taking Control Over Your Problems and Your Life.
- Pursuing Your Dreams and Ambitions.
- Building A New Sense of Self, Meaning and Purpose.
- Growing Within and Beyond What Has Happened to You.
- It Is a Journey of Discovery…
- You Are More Than Your Diagnosis.
- You Are the Expert.
- You Don’t Need to Rely on Services and Professionals.
- Your Journey Continues After Services.
- Your Experiences Are Not Totally Negative.